Friday, December 11, 2009

Meals on Wheels

So I haven't been very good about posting lately : / that's something I need to work on. This week I had finals for all my classes. It was sorta stressful but I am glad it's over with! On Thursday, I had the opportunity to do "Meals on Wheels" with my 2nd mom, Rhonda Pool. This is an organization where people, everday deliver meals to the elderly, who live at home and don't have very much. It was such an eye opener to me. I had no idea that there were people living like that. Let me get something straight...these meals that we delivered did not look very appetizing, at all!...Ok, so this one lady we delivered to lived by herself. We were walking on the sidewalk up to her house and before we even got there, she had already started to open her door. It was if she were anxiously waiting on her food for the day. Or maybe she was excited to see people that were coming to talk to her. Anyways, we set her food down on the table for her and as we were leaving she started to talk to us. She said something like this, "Thank you so much, it's not everday that i get to talk to someone. I am really glad ya'll came." To me, it sounded as if she were about to cry. Rhonda asked her if she'd like a hug and the old lady said "yes, I think that's what I need right now." It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. It was hard for me to comprehend that she actually lived like that...everyday; by herself in a small and not so clean house. Doing that service project made me realize how much I take for granted. I have a car, a computer, a phone, plenty of clothes and shoes, and edible food, yet I still feel like I don't have enough. No matter how much we have, we always want more. I don't know why we keep wanting and wanting all of these material things. When we die, our things aren't going with us. In I Timothy 6:7 it says...For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing we will be content with that. With only a few minutes of looking at these peoples houses, and seeing how they live their lives, they don't have much more than the clothes they have on and the food that "Meals on Wheels" brings them. Even though the food looked absolutely disgusting, they were still so thankful to recieve it. One more verse i wanted to share comes from Matthew 6:19...Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment